Crystal Reports is a business intelligence application, currently marketed to small businesses by SAP AG. It is used to design and generate reports from a wide range of data sources.
Crystal Reports allows users to graphically design data connection(s) and report layout. In the Database Expert, users can select and link tables from a wide variety of data sources, including Microsoft Excel spreadsheets, Oracle databases, Microsoft SQL Server databases, Microsoft Access databases, Business Objects Enterprise business views, and local file system information. Fields from these tables can be placed on the report design surface, and can also be used in custom formulas, using either BASIC or Crystal's own syntax, which are then placed on the design surface. Formulas can be evaluated at several phases during report generation as specified by the developer.
Both fields and formulas have a wide array of formatting options available, which can be applied absolutely or conditionally. The data can be grouped into bands, each of which can be split further and conditionally suppressed as needed. Crystal Reports also supports subreports, graphing, and a limited amount of GIS functionality.
- A common standard file format allows for feature-rich reports that contain data retrieval criteria, grouping, summary, parameter, drill down, and subreport linking information.
- An embedded Crystal Reports designer, assisted by wizards and experts, builds complex report files easily.
- An exporting feature exports data from the CrystalReportViewer control to Word, Excel, PDF, and HTML, and Crystal Reports formats.
- The ability to print from the CrystalReportViewer control enables page-based report printing from any Web or Windows application
- Take advantage of SAP Crystal Reports and SAP AP Crystal Dashboard Design solutions to consolidate data into dashboards and reports from a variety of sources including spreadsheets.
- SAP Crystal Reports features tools such as ready-to-use data drivers, flexible charting capabilities, and pre-built templates that empower business users to develop compelling reports.